16 December 2012

How to Eat Pasta

When you are on a diet, pasta is the enemy. But, every once in a while, it's ok to have a bowl of pasta. There are healthy choices that you can make so that you can indulge and not feel too guilty about your carb craving. 

Pick a pasta made with a non-grain flour that possesses other health benefits like high fiber or high protein. My favorite healthy pasta is Ancient Harvest Quinoa Elbows. This pasta is gluten-free, non-GMO and organic. It's made with a combination of corn flour and quinoa flour. Quinoa is a carbohydrate, but it is not a true grain. It is a seed and has a higher protein count than most grains. Choosing the right pasta is the most important decision to make when you are craving a bowl. Portion control is also very important. For this recipe, I use two ounces of dry pasta per serving. There are four servings per box of Ancient Harvest Quinoa Elbows and I don't like to measure every time I eat, so I open the box and split it equally between four Ziploc bags.

As an Italian, I believe the second most important factor is the sauce. When choosing a sauce, look for something low in fat and low in carbs. I prefer my dad's homemade sauce, but I have not been able to master it myself quite yet. Homemade sauce takes time and makes a mess. Unfortunately, 99.9% of jarred marinara sauce found in grocery stores tastes artificial. That's because the ingredients on the label contain words that are difficult to pronounce. Only one type of jarred marinara sauce has my seal of approval and that's Victoria Marinara Sauce. It's the only brand I will eat because the ingredients are simple and perfect! I buy it in bulk at Costco or ShopRite when I see it on sale. It is pricier than other jarred sauces, but you get what you pay for. I use a half cup of marinara sauce and like to add more flavor by adding a tablespoon of dried red bell pepper flakes before heating. I buy red bell pepper flakes in bulk from SpiceBarn.com. They are great for adding a mild pepper flavor to tomato sauce, omelettes and roasted veggies. I love the taste of pepper, but am not a big fan of spicy foods. These flakes are awesome!

Lastly, you have to pick the right type of grated cheese. In my mind, there's only one type of grated cheese allowed on pasta. It's Locatelli Pecorino Romano. Not only is it delicious, but it's lower in calories and fat than most other grated cheeses. I use two tablespoons on my pasta, but most people like to use only one. Locatelli cheese can be expensive, so keep an eye out for when it's on sale or mislabeled (this happens more frequently than you would think).

Here's the breakdown of nutritional information for this meal:

8g of fat
54g of carbs
5g of fiber
8g of protein

***8 POINTS***

This is not a low-carb meal! But, the carbs in quinoa will react much better with your body than carbs from grains. Read more here.

No comments: